The Village of Lordstown owns and maintains three cemeteries, with the earliest dating back to the 19th century.
Soaptown Cemetery is located on Highland Avenue near the intersection of Hallock Young Road. Paltzgrove Cemetery is located on Hewitt Gifford Road near Palmyra Road. Both are no longer used for internments.
The Lordstown Cemetery is located on Salt Springs Road near the Village Offices. It is the Village’s largest cemetery.
Schedule of Rates & Charges
Cost of Grave Lots
- For Village Residents One Single Grave* $200.00
- For Village Residents Two Abutting Graves $400.00
- For Non-Village Residents One Single Grave* $600.00
- For Non-Village Residents Two Abutting Graves $1,200.00
*The location of all single grave sales shall be restricted to areas of the cemetery specifically designated for single grave sales.
Cost of Opening and Closing Graves
- Funerals arriving at cemeteries between 8:00 AM and 2:00 PM Monday thru Friday on regularly scheduled work days - $300.00 Village Resident; $600.00 Non-Resident
- Funerals arriving at cemeteries after 2:00 PM Monday thru Friday on regularly scheduled work days - $375.00 Village Resident; $750.00 Non-Resident
- Funerals on Saturday, Sundays and Holidays - $550.00 Village Resident; $1,100.00 Non-Resident
Cost of Opening and Closing Infant Graves (Up to four years old)
- Funerals arriving at cemeteries between 8:00 AM and 2:00 PM Monday thru Friday on regularly scheduled work days - $200.00
- Funerals arriving at cemeteries after 2:00 PM Monday thru Friday on regularly scheduled work days - $275.00
- Funerals on Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays - $400.00
Cost of Creamations and Opening and Closing Stillborn Graves
- Burial of cremains and opening and closing stillborn graves between 8:00 AM and 2:00 PM Monday thru Friday on regularly scheduled work days - $125.00
- After 2:00 PM Monday thru Friday, and Saturday, Sunday, and Holidays - $250.00
Cost of Monument Foundations
- Minimum charge for any monument foundation - $90.00
- Lineal inch charge for all monument foundation (based on the length of the foundation, including a 3 inch border on each end) - $3.75
Use of Cemetery Chapel
A chapel is located at the Salt Springs Road Cemetery and is available at no charge for all funerals at this cemetery. The funeral director shall be responsible for notifying the Village that the chapel is requested. In the event of conflicting funeral services, use of the Chapel will be granted on a "first to request basis".
- Determination of Lot, Section, and Grave for all burials is the responsibility of the funeral director of the deceased. The Village shall be given this information when notified of a burial.
- All Village of Lordstown cemeteries are open from sunrise to sunset daily. No person(s) shall enter any Cemetery after sunset or before sunrise.
- Flowers and perennials may be planted near monuments; however, they must be regularly weeded and maintained by the owners. Plantings must be edged or bordered in order for Village employees to properly trim around. Plantings, ornaments, and decorations must be kept in a sensible area around monuments so they do not impede equipment from performing normal cemetery duties (i.e., mowing, trimming, grave digging and dirt hauling).
- Shrubbery and bushes are not permitted to be planted on cemetery lots.
- No trees will be planted without permission from the Parks Superintendent and the Street Commissioner. The species of the tree will be determined by the Parks Superintendent and the Street Commissioner.
- All plantings not properly maintained by the owners will be removed.
- Grave ornamentation that is holiday or seasonal in nature shall be removed in a timely manner after each holiday or season has passed.
- The Village of Lordstown shall not be responsible for any cemetery ornamentation that is lost, stolen, damaged or removed.
Rules Regarding Monuments and Monument Foundations
- All monument foundations shall be installed by the Village of Lordstown.
- No monument foundation shall be installed on a grave site earlier than six months after the opening and closing of that particular grave.
- Monument foundations and monuments may be installed pre-need.
- The Village of Lordstown shall not be responsible for incorrectly engraved monuments. Verification of the positioning of names on monuments is the responsibility of the family and/or the monument vendor.
- Monument foundation size for a single grave shall not exceed 48 inches in length, and 30 inches in width. Monument foundation size to cover two graves shall not exceed 108 inches in length, and 30 inches in width. Any other multiple grave monuments must be approved for size by the Street Commissioner.
- No monument foundations shall be installed after October 31st or before May 1st.
- All monument foundations are installed with a three inch concrete border on all sides. Example: monument size 10" x 30" shall have a foundation size 16" x 36".
- All monuments shall be placed at the head of the graves (west end of grave). No foot markers above the ground will be permitted.