Lordstown is located in the industrial heart of northeastern Ohio, just one hour away from Cleveland and Pittsburgh. With its close proximity to these cities, it allows area residents and businesses to benefit from the services and support they offer. In addition, the cities of Warren, Niles and Youngstown are only minutes away and provide a well-established network of businesses and services.
Lordstown's history can be traced to the Revolutionary War when property belonging to Connecticut landowners was destroyed, and who then demanded reimbursement from their legislature. Five hundred thousand acres of the Western Reserve, known as "Fire Lands" was set aside by legislature to replace the burned land.
In 1786, a committee was appointed to dispose of this "far western" land. The area included what is now northern Ohio and was divided into townships. The General Assembly then agreed to make a grant of a township to each purchaser. With the survey party drawing the original townships, it was the first accurate and detailed drawing of the Reserve.
Lordstown was drawn by Samuel P. Lord and was later deeded to his son. Among the earliest settlers were William and Henry Thorne with their families. The first cabin was built by Henry Thorne. Alexander Longmore relocated to the township about 1822; Thomas Pugh and William Moore settled in the township about 1826. Other early settlers included Jacob Harshman, Thomas Duncan, Redman Wysell, Andrew Grove and Peter Snyder. In 1829, Isaac Bailey settled in a spot still known as Bailey's Corner.
The first election for Township officers was held at James Kennedy’s house on June 21, 1827. Trustees were Peleg Lewis, Samuel Crum and Thomas Pen. James Kennedy was appointed Treasurer; Moses Haskell was appointed Clerk and John Lewis as Constable. James Preston and Alexander Campbell were the Overseers of Poor; Ira Loveland and David Lewis as Fence-viewers. On January 7, 1828 Peter Snyder was elected Justice of the Peace.
The early residents of the township were frugal and bought small tracts of land and added acreage to their farms as they could afford it. The farms in turn, grew larger and larger and the population remained small.
Lordstown is the youngest political unit in Trumbull County becoming incorporated as a village in 1975. The community has fast become an enticing place to start and grow a family or business. Today, there are approximately 4,000 residents living in the village. Lordstown's General Motor's assembly and metal stamping plants are the largest employers in the area.